Are you looking for a way to challenge yourself and check in with your fitness? Justin, one of our fabulous HIIT instructors (you may have seen his infamous backflips on Instagram), has got you covered! We caught up with him to hear all about his new Benchmark workout that launches on Digme at Home on Monday 31st May.
“I can’t wait for you guys to give this workout a go! Whether you want to measure your fitness over time or just get your sweat on for that post-workout high, my new Benchmark Workout is perfect for you!
There are four challenges, which you can do individually or together to make one full workout, and you can come back every week, month or however often you like, to see if you can improve on how you performed the time before. There are different variations within some of these challenges to make it slightly easier or harder so pick which ever version you like and give it everything you’ve got.
Remember “It doesn’t get easier, you get stronger” so dig deep and take yourself out of that comfort zone!"
Challenge 1 - BURPEE CHALLENGE - 1min
Complete as many burpee's you can in one minute. Whether it’s chest-to-floor burpee, half burpee, (or if you’re Justin - backflip burpees), how many can you rack up?
Challenge 2 - EMOM - 4min
EMOM means ‘every minute on the minute’, and in this challenge there are four separate exercises for you. Complete the combination of exercises as quickly as you can within 60 seconds – the quicker you finish, the longer you have to get your breath back (eg if it takes you 40 seconds to complete the exercises you get 20 seconds rest)
- Min 1 - 30 Star Jumps & 30 Mountain Climbers.
- Min 2 - 12 Press up reach backs. (Press-up followed by reaching your hand back to touch your opposite foot. The press ups can be performed on your toes or your knees)
- Min 3 - 18 Single leg jack-knife sit-ups & 18 Bicycle Crunches.
- Min 4 - 40 Plunges (plyometric / jumping lunges)
Challenge 3 - CORE - 2.30min
This challenge is simple but effective - hold a plank for as long as you can! 2 or 2.30 minutes. There are two variations, so choose whichever variation of a side plank you like.
- Version 1 - Hold a side plank for 60 seconds, rest for 30 seconds then repeat side plank on the other side for a further 60 seconds.
- Version 2 - Same as above but hold a plank in the centre for 30 seconds instead of resting.
Challenge 4 - DESCENDING LADDER - 4min
You’ve got 4 minutes to get as far down the ladder as you can with these three exercises:
- Squat jumps (or normal squats)
- Press ups (toes or knees)
- Plankjacks (In a high plank position jumping the feet in and out)
Start with 10 reps of each exercise, then 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. How far down the ladder can you get in 4 minutes?
So what are you waiting for?
Click here to tune in from Monday, and let us know how you get on! Or click here to join one of Justin’s Live Benchmark workouts online on Digme at Home at 6.30pm Tuesday 1st June or 6pm Friday 4th June.