What is MATRIX META?
By Dan Little, Head of Fitness
It’s the one I’m most excited about if I’m honest, and I can’t wait until it’s on the timetable from 8th May in Blackfriars and Oxford.
Metabolic training, the basis of MATRIX META, isn’t so much a specific type of workout but a way of working out.
Metabolic sessions involve a very high work rate, which challenges both major energy systems that contribute to exercise effectiveness. Strength training calls on one energy system, while cardio work uses another – and both are called into action for metabolic training.
HIIT training – what we do in the standard MATRIX classes – is also a form of metabolic training, but in META we’re taking it to another level of intensity. In ancient Greek, the word meta means ‘go beyond’ which is exactly what we’re doing with this format.
In a META class, you will still incorporate the three key components of MATRIX – running on the SkillMills, conditioning with kettlebells and TRXs and movement with bodyweight exercises – but we ramp up the energy even further for one hell of a challenge.
Expect to smash out some total-body compound movements and be prepared for a very high work rate. One of the major benefits of this type of training is the huge number of calories they burn and also the “afterburn” effect, scientifically known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. You get an incredible amount of bang for your buck even with only a short session.
You will go from one challenging exercise to the next with little or no rest in between, which not only taxes you physically but is also a mental challenge. You will need every bit of your instructor’s motivation to keep you going, but it will be so worth it in the end.
We’ve done a load of research into finding out what motivates people – is it reaching a certain distance, number of reps or working for a certain length of time? – and have used the results to develop MATRIX META.
I think you’ll love what we’ve created, and if you want to take your training to another level, this is it.
You’ll be gasping for air, hot and sweaty, but if you want results you’ve got to earn them! See you in a class soon.
My tips for MATRIX META
- Have a snack beforehand. You’ll need the energy
- Make sure you have a decent base level of fitness before you attempt this workout. Our other MATRIX classes are suitable for beginners, so it’s a good idea to start there and work up to the demands of META
- Do it 1-2 times a week combined with other training for maximum effect
- Drink plenty of water afterwards
- Focus on getting your technique right – your instructor will help you with this – even if it means doing fewer reps in the allotted time. Once you’ve mastered a move, you can attempt a more challenging version or use a heavier weight
- Don’t hold back! Give it everything you’ve got and you’ll be reaping the results